Caster Selection Guide
Questions for Specifying or Replacing Casters:
- What is the average load?
- What is the maximum load?
- What wheel diameter will give the necessary mobility?
- In what type of environment will the casters or wheels operate (water, oils, acids, corrosive materials, or excessive temperatures)?
- Will the unit be hand-pushed or powered?
- How many swivel and how many rigid casters are needed?
- How are the casters to be mounted (Top Plate, Stem, Hollow Kingpin, etc.)?
Divide combined weight of load and truck by number of casters to get weight-per-caster.
Load + weight of truck / number of casters = lbs. per caster
Example: 2,000 lbs. / 4 casters = 500 lbs. per caster
Note: Faultless load ratings include a substantial safety factor.
If a load is dropped onto a truck without regard for breakage, then specify the next higher load rating. Generally, select casters with extra load capacity rather than "just enough to get the job done."